Subtraction Wk 5: Joinery

CNC fun continues! The joinery I worked on this week is for a sconce lighting fixture. I tried out the rabbet joint to fit my pieces together. As usual, I ran into some issues. This time most of my issues were because I only have a 1/4″ bit but many of the joints required a smaller bit size. The joints became too rounded to properly fit together. This all requires some redesign. Nonetheless, I do think I’m getting better at the CAD – CAM – CNC process! Hope I didn’t just jinx it.

  1. First phase was doing a cardboard mockup. Then I did more accurate drawings for the dimensions.

img_4776.jpg

IMG_4777IMG_4779IMG_4781

2. I used Vectorworks to make the 2D files first. Then brought it into the CAM software.

IMG_4782

3. Screwed down the wood to the spoil board.

IMG_4784

4. Brought the files into the CNC software. Started cutting after zeroing.

IMG_4787IMG_4785IMG_4790

After cutting, I realized that the joints that I had designed for the side panels were way to small for my bit. This means all the joints were rounded. So I need to figure out a way to create the joints without having rounded corners.

Back to the drawing board!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s